Attics are often a mystery in any house. Some have secret ways of entry, others have low ceilings, but usually, there is always at least one drawback to an attic. Making the most of what you have is the secret for every homeowner, and your attic is no exception.
By following these tips, you can make your attic more useful than you’d expect!
- In order to get the most out of your attic, you need to de-clutter and organize. Attics are known to be last resort storage spaces in a house, so many can become so disorganized that they are uninhabitable. By taking a day to throw away old, unneeded items and organizing what is left into boxes, you can easily clear out a sizeable area to use for other purposes.
- If you’re going to use your attic for storage, do it right! Invest in filing cabinets and storage bins to maximize the amount of space in the attic. Properly organized attics will function as a great place to stash important documents as well as cherished family heirlooms.
- Many attics are turned into spare bedrooms. Attics are great for a small bed and dresser, which is the bare minimum for a bedroom. Consider adding pictures and quality linens to make your guests feel at home.
- If your house only has one bathroom, consider the attic as a secondary place to take care of your personal needs. A spare bathroom is a luxury you may not know you need, especially if you have a large family. Having the extra restroom will prevent the usual morning delays and will give you the opportunity to get a few extra winks of sleep in the morning!
- An attic can be a great place for a sun room. By adding a large window or even a day bed, the attic can be a perfect place to be alone and collect your thoughts or to act as a useful room for kids.
- Attics are the smartest room to turn into an office. Above all the action and noise, the attic can be a quiet haven where work can be done. A desk, chair, and computer won’t take up much space and you’ll be on your way to working more effectively from home.
Attics come in all shapes and sizes. By being creative and resourceful, any attic can be used in a smart way to accommodate the needs of your home. Get up there and imagine the potential of that untapped space!