With a new year just around the corner, leading designer Jamie Alexander is predicting the following trends in the near future:
1. Mixing finishes. “Like with jewelry, we are beginning to see a mix of finishes.” Gold and silver working together to create the perfect combination of warm and cool metal tones. Also expect to see more brushed finishes rather than polished shiny reflections.
2. Patterns will be taking a back seat next year. Neutral fabrics will highlight the new forms and curves of furniture. Pay attention to the shape and subtle details in a piece before making your purchase.
3. Try to go for more neutral colours on larger furniture pieces and have fun with colour through the many new accessories hitting the shelves in a matter of days.
4. The 60s Eames chair dominates todays contemporary dining chair, as with each month’s new magazine, I flip and see the Eames dining chair used for the kitchen, dining and office table. But the 60s are now making an even greater comeback with walnut finishes. Goodbye espresso and good ridden! It was always a major dust collector.
5. The cottage is not the only place for those older rustic furniture pieces, their making their way into our everyday living rooms, kitchens, bedrooms and so forth. Restoration Hardware and Pottery Barn are notorious for recreating the rustic characteristic within new furniture.
Keep an eye out for the New and Wonderful!